It’s a TGIF FREE slurpee kind of day at 7-Eleven! You can grab yours between 11AM – 7PM. And since it’s a free slurpee kind of summer day, here are some fun facts about the famous frozen drink :D.
- 7-Eleven is nearly doubling the size of the Slurpee it is giving away this year to 12 full ounces.
- 7-Eleven has sold nearly 6.5 billion Slurpee’s since the drink was created — that’s almost enough for every person on Earth!
- The drink was introduced in 1966 but the term “Slurpee” wasn’t created until 1967 by a 7-Eleven director.
- The Slurpee was allegedly invented when an anonymous genius put some sodas in the freezer to cool down!
- Enough Slurpee drinks are sold annually to fill up 12 Olympic-sized swimming pools. Yes! 12!
- The most Slurpees are actually sold in Winnipeg, Canada and Detroit comes in second.
- The scientific name for brain freeze, a common problem that plagues Slurpee lovers everywhere, is Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia.
- Sales of Slurpee Light — the low-calorie version of the drink that was introduced in 2012 — now account for 20 percent of total Slurpee sales, a 7-Eleven official wrote in an email to The Huffington Post
- There is just one lucky individual on the planet that 7-Eleven acknowledges owns an authentic Slurpee machine — the rest are in 7-Eleven stores.
- The most popular Slurpee flavors are Coca-Cola and Minute Maid Cherry.
- In 2004, Slurpee actually created an edible Slurpee straw to accompany the famed frozen drink.
- More than 40 percent of Slurpees are bought during June, July and August.
😀 Hahahaha! 😀